About Us

The Town of Jackson was founded in 1815, by act of the Louisiana Legislature, as the parish seat for Feliciana Parish which covered all of the present day East and West Feliciana Parishes. The town was the first to be named after Andrew Jackson following his victory over the British at New Orleans at the end of the War of 1812.  In fact, Jackson was reported to have camped his Tennessee army contingents on Thompson Creek on his return from that battle.  The Town of Jackson was the site of two Civil War battles fought in 1863 during the Union siege of Port Hudson–one of these battles is commemorated each year with the Battle of Jackson Crossroads reenactment.